Monthly Archives: August 2012

Wadsworth House Materials Preserved – Update – ‘Find of the Summer’

UPDATE III:

On Thursday, August 30, 2012 the “Amherst News-Times” printed an article regarding Col. Nahorn’s efforts to preserve parts of and document the historic Wadsworth House in Wellington.  This well-executed article highlighted the 3-gallon c.1820-1830s salt-glazed butter churn we found in the small secondary attic of the house.  See a photo of the article, below:

UPDATE II: House Demolished August 14, 2012

And with that and the dust cloud, up into the sky went the original intention to save the house which goes back to 1998. Preservation of historic structures takes a certain mindset and vision.  A potential for the structure to be saved must be visualized.  It was very good that we was given the opportunity to save many pieces from the house and document it. The 180 year old-or so ceramic butter churn would be in tiny pieces if we had not crawled into the attic to investigate.

A pile of rubble is all that is left of the Historic Wadsworth House in Wellington.

UPDATE: Antique Jug Found in Attic; Circular Windows Salvaged

On August 10, we made another trip to the Wadsworth House as we had learned of the existence of a secondary attic space that was previously unexplored.  A round window also was in the attic peak that we had yet to salvage.  Upon entering the tiny attic space, Museum contributor and trustee, Bill Nahorn spotted an antique brown glazed 3-gallon butter churn (dating c.1820-1830) with a blue painted flower design.  We were ecstatic to make such a find.  This, as one Museum associate noted, is “the find of the summer.”  Having it being dated this far back, allows us to believe that it was among the possessions of the original Wadsworth family and may have been brought into Ohio from Massachusetts by the family.  Or it was purchased here when they arrived.

As we moved further into the attic space, a round window and its accompanying screen were noted resting on the floor.  These were saved as well.  We then proceeded to the original intent of entering the space – saving the round window that could be seen from the exterior.  Col. Nahorn was able to safely remove this piece from the wall.  What another day at the Wadsworth House!

Note location of round window in roof peak that we were able to salvage.

From the inside of the attic looking outside – Museum contributor and trustee Diane Nahorn pears up from below.

A fine ceramic salt-glazed 3-gallon butter churn (c.1820-1830) found in the attic space of the Historic Wadsworth House by Museum contributor and trustee Bill Nahorn. This exceptional example of early pottery is a superb find from the house.  Please note the “3” that is painted to the right of the floral design, denoting its capacity in gallons.

————–

Architectural materials from the Historic Wadsworth House in Wellington, OH. were salvaged on August 4, 2012 for preservation at the New Indian Ridge Museum.  A new display highlighting these materials is planned.

Six unique, half-circle windows complete with wavy glass, antique hardware, several doors, wide molding, bricks, and other materials were saved from the structure.  We also found a small bundle of shake shingles in the attic of the house.  After some research, we found that D. L. Wadsworth, the first inhabitant of the house, among other things, owned a shingle mill.  These most probably came from that mill and were in the attic ever since!  D. L. Wadsworth was the seventh son and came with his parents from Massachusetts in the 1830s.  His father built the first brick house in Wellington after residing in a log cabin for a time.  D. L. Wadsworth was a farmer and dealt in stock trading.  He was also involved in different milling operations.

Built of brick and sandstone in 1866, the Wadsworth House was one of the largest and finest in the area.  It was featured in Williams’ “History of Lorain County” (1879), along with an engraving of the structure.  It originally stood near the site of the RiteAid drugstore on Route 58 in Wellington until 1998 when it was moved to its present location, just in front of the Whirlaway company for preservation.  Just this year it was determined that it would be demolished.  With that, yet another important Lorain County structure will be lost.  At least we will have it documented here at the Museum.  See photos below, of the property.

The house is to be demolished August 14.  We would like to thank Mr. Zupan for allowing us to save these materials in order to present a display on this house so that it may be documented.

Circular window from inside looking out of the Historic Wadsworth House. A brick from just above this window hole was removed and preserved by the Museum.

Wadsworth House (1866)

Col. Nahorn of the New Indian Ridge Museum

View from atop the Wadsworth House looking out the cupola over downtown Wellington, OH.