Col. Nahorn recently dedicated the Glover’s Cave photo display at the New Indian Ridge Museum. This display has been named in memory of the late Agnes Mae Glover Jones (1916-2012), a previous owner of the land upon which the famous Cave is located. We recently learned of her passing.
In 2002 we were able to contact Mrs. Jones, and she graciously allowed us to come down to southwestern Kentucky to study and document important significant and geologic aspects of Glover’s Cave. We returned each summer through 2010, and each time we had wonderful visits with Ms. Agnes Mae.
Besides spending time at her old home and studying Glover’s Cave, I have very fond memories of visiting with Mrs. Jones while enjoying fine catfish dinners at the Catfish House and attending Sunday services with her at Mt. Zion Baptist Church. That place is steeped in history as well, as Agnes told us the first preacher was Isaac Boone, Daniel Boone’s brother. On one specific occasion, after spending a day photographing and studying Glover’s Cave, we were greeted with a fine home cooked meal of her homemade cream corn, fresh Kentucky tomatoes, and ham. During one summer trip we visited Ken Lake and on another occasion, the Jefferson Davis Memorial.
The late archaeologist Col. Raymond C. Vietzen, who operated the original Indian Ridge Museum from 1930-1995, performed extensive excavations in and around the Cave from the 1940s through the early 1980s. He subsequently published “The Saga of Glover’s Cave” (1956) and soon after acquired the honorary title of Kentucky Colonel. In 2007 Col. Nahorn too acquired this honorary status.
We felt it extremely necessary to memorialize Mrs. Jones because of her generosity and friendship she showed toward us and the Museum over the eight years we were associated. This concludes another chapter in the Cave’s history. She will be missed.
This painting (below) of the entrance to Glover’s Cave, depicting what the area may have looked like in prehistoric times, was acquired by the Museum in December 2013. It was painted for Col. Vietzen in 1952, and hung in the Vietzen house for many years.