Local Historical Houses
~This is a new page, and it is currently under construction as we build our inventory. Please check back often to learn more.~
Many historical houses exist in Northern Ohio. Some have been demolished and some continue to persist, standing the test of time and the bulldozers. Some of those important and unique structures are shown here, accompanied by brief histories. Please take a moment to browse this page.
Jacob Shupe House, Amherst (c. 1812-1814)
Under the Amherst, Ohio page and throughout this site, information is provided for this important historic structure.
Casper and Mary Dute House, Amherst (c. 1843)
The Dute house was located on Cooper Foster Park Road, just East of the intersection of N. Main and Cooper Foster. The Dute family came here from Germany, settling just north of this site in 1834. By 1843 they had settled on this site, making it their permanent homestead. It was demolished circa 2002. The barns below were a part of the original farmstead. The Dutes purchased their property from Jacob Shupe, a relatively close neighbor at the time. Today the house and barns are gone. The Quarry Lakes subdivision is situated where the barns once stood. These photos, courtesy of Hartley Smith, are the only reminders of the history of this spot, as all physical attributes at the site have been erased. Some of the wood from the barns is preserved at the New Indian Ridge Museum.
William Braun House/Site of Josiah Harris House, Amherst (c. 1860)
This site, above the “Old Spring,” is where Josiah Harris, another early Amherst settler, settled in 1818 coming from Massachusetts. He too came to the area not long after Jacob Shupe and his family. The blue house was built by William Braun sometime between 1860-1874. Braun operated a brewery down in the valley, and the sandstone cellars from the brewery are still there today. He came to this area from Germany with his family in 1852. Today it is a renown bed and breakfast, which has been well-restored. Josiah Harris was an important individual in our early town – he was one of the first county commissioners, the first Lorain County Sheriff, the first Amherst postmaster, a justice of the peace, and operated many several local businesses, including a brick yard. He donated the land for the Amherst Town Hall, which was constructed in front of his house on Beaver Court, the early bustling town center. The land he donated for the Town Hall had one stipulation – the building had to be one constructed of Amherst Sandstone. The land stood vacant for many years, as residents did not have the money to fund this new endeavor.
Hollstein House and Farm Barns, Amherst (mid 1800s)
Two barns that were located on the Hollstein farm on Cooper Foster Park Road in Amherst. The original homestead is pictured above.
Joseph Quigley House, Amherst (1832)
Onstine House, Amherst (early frame home in Amherst, c. 1832)
Burrell House, Sheffield Village (oldest brick house in Lorain County, c. 1820)
Wilbur Cahoon House, Avon (c. 1825)
Milton Garfield House, Sheffield Village (c. 1839)